Friday, May 31, 2013

Map of Persuasion

On this artistic rendition of a map you can see all the places mentioned in the book - real and fictional. Lyme, Bath, Kellynch, Uppercross, Winthrop, Shropshire. Inside the map I penciled in Captain Wentworth's letter to Anne. There are also miniatures of Anne and Captain Wentworth and a full rigged ship in the lower right corner. To add to the nautical feel of the painting I added a compass on the top along with swirls of evergreens for eternal constancy and tiny forget-me-not flowers. Of course I am no cartographer and if you are a person good with maps, or living in Britain you will probably laugh. But I thought it would make a fun Persuasion keepsake :)

2 comments:

  1. Bravo! I really like this, particularly your use of the letter. This letter is one of the reasons why I must prefer Captain Wentworth to Mr. Darcy.

    By the way, are you a member of the Jane Austen Society of North America? We're hosting the annual general meeting in Minneapolis this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Beth,
    Agree with you on Mr.Darcy vs. Captain Wentworth.
    Unfortunately I am not a member yet. But I did go to one of the meetings a few years ago in Portland as a vendor and I really enjoyed it. Especially the ball.
    Maybe, things permitting, I will make it to the next year's meeting.

    ReplyDelete